What is Grit Chamber?
A grit chamber is lengthy slender tanks for slowing the flow of wastewater aiding in capturing the wastes via different screening filters
||removes inorganic solids, sand, tiny rocks.
||prevents sewage clogging, protecting drainage infrastructure.
Grit chamber types and configuration/working
|Horizontal current flow grit chamber
- A canal like channel is utilized in this type of grit chamber; the length to width proportion is high to reduce the amount of mixing.
- There is not enough depth of the current here; the big waste treatment plant requires 2 or more grit chambers
|Aerated grit chamber
|Detention range at flow rate
|Width depth ratio
|Length width ratio
|Air supply m3 / min
- This chamber incorporates a blower that produces air which enters chamber by a pipe that lies at the base of the compartment itself.
- It has a good motorized design; this chamber does not require a lot of maintenance.
- It handles a good current of water flow; the particles are collected at the tank’s base.
- The aerated chamber is designed to tackle septic conditions.
|Vortex grit chamber
|Detention time at flow pace
|0.3mm Grit elimination %
|0.24mm grit elimination %
|0.15mm grit elimination %
- Sewer water is introduced at grit chamber’s bottom, faced with continuous rotation in the bent grit chamber
- Constantly moving whizzer causes circulation and speedy rotation, resulting in the gathering of solids at the middle of the chamber, later collected in the containing tank.
- Airlift pumps shift the wastes to the organizer or the washer where they are segregated and washed
- The grit particles in the compartment gather down at its base, the grit chamber has different divides, such as the incoming sector, the outgoing sector.
- The incoming sector spreads the water flow to the grit compartment; the outgoing sector gathers the sewage water after the elimination of the gravels.
Handling the rapidity
There is a lot of traffic in terms of sewage that is to be processed,
- Flow rapidity is an essential factor in maintaining the current of the sewage
- When the current is slow, and the waste can get carried away, if the rapidity gets past the critical point, it will hamper the performance
Tank settling parameters
|Average Primary settling overflow current
||25-30 cubic meter square meter a day
|Maximum Primary settling overflow current
||50-60 cubic meter square meter a day
||2.5 to 3.5
|Detention time range
||2 to 2.5