MBBR in STP (Wastewater Treatment Plant)
What is STP & MBBR?
STP stands for sewage treatment plant which is used for treatment of sewage water generated from domestic as well as industrial use. This sewage is treated with the help of multi-stage wastewater treatment plant called STP & with the time, a lot of new technologies have developed & MBBR is also one of them.
MBBR is an economically offered solution in wwtp for areas where pollution control bodies norms are less strict. MBBR is biological treatment of plant as both nitrification and denitrification takes place inside tank. Nitrification if conversion of ammonium into nitrate and denitrification is due to oxygen metabolization, nitrate converts into nitrogen.
What is MBBR & How does it works?
MBBR (Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor) is biological process in which microorganisms or nematodes are used to decompose all the organic waste present inside the water. These cellular organisms consume waste & excrete a simple substance that can be easily filtered out in further stages. Biological wastewater treatments are very efficient, and they can be used individually or in process they are very efficient. It consists of activated sludge process aeration system & biofilm process. The sludge is collected on plastic carriers, higher the surface area, more the air, water & bacteria will pass & faster will be the process.
Flow Diagram of MBBR plant
Components used in MBBR wastewater treatment process: –
- Basin – In aeration tank, thousands of media made up of polyethylene are put to provide surface for microorganism’s development. The size of the tank & quantity of plant depends upon quantity of water filtered per day. Mostly there are two tanks presents for complete aeration process. MBBR media are round, or wheel shaped. Their density matches the density of water which enables them to neither to sink nor to float on surface.
- Media – MBBR tanks is filled up with thousands of small circular shape plastic polyethylene chips. They occupy about 60-70 % space in tanks and provide surface area for biofilm
- Aeration Grid – It helps in movement of media effectively through the complete tank & provide air inside water forming water bubble enable proper mixing of water. With the help of blower’s air is passed through pipeline and then to diffusers.
- Sieve- It stops the MBBR media to pass through exit of the tank.
Industrial applications of MBBR system are :-
- Pulp & Paper Industry
- Chemicals Manufacturing
- Dairy Processing
- Beverage Factories
- Automotive Industry
- Municipal Sewage Plants
- Coke & Steel Plants
- Textile Factories
Benefits of MBBR system
- Simple & Efficient Operation-
- Low Sludge Generation
- Low Maintenance
- Easy fitted with small blueprint
- Stable under Load variations
- Low capital cost as compared to other technologies
- No sludge recycling required
- Resilient to toxic shock
- Less area required
Advantages of having Kelvin MBBR Sewage Treatment Plant
We make compact containerized as well open or cylindrical MBBR plants & supply them throughout the world. These are easy for shipment via road or water & can be installed in any corner of world.
Low Maintenance – These plants run on very minimal maintenance cost. It requires backwashing which can be easily done by operators.
Flexible – In this all-biological process happens naturally and is able to adjust varying naturally. It is highly stable with organic materials.